This post is about the Surface, let me state that I am in no way a technical person and my husband has had absolutely no influence on this.
I’ve had the surface for just over a week now and I think that is enough time to give a review. Overall I like it. I’m glad I waited for this as I was never really interested in the iPad. Just like the first iPad or any other first generation tech products, it has its flaws. I will list a few as well as what I like about it.
- The kickstand at the back doesn’t open far enough. I like to play the game Wordament (currently only available for Windows users) at night and I have to prop it up with my leg or the sheet. Nothing major but I imagine this will be fixed on the next one.
- There is a lag in opening some apps. You can open the app and wait about 10secs or more for it to load and be ready to use. I don’t know the cause of this but I know it’s something minor that will be fixed eventually as well.
- IE10 takes forever to load a page. Personally I use Chrome with Bing search, so I have no problem with the results I get but pages do take a while to load.
- I have to go to desktop mode to see how much battery power I have left. I think this is something that should be seen easily. Have a little icon in the corner or something. I know it’s all about clean lines etc but it should be more accessible.
- Closing apps is not easy with the finger swipe down once you’ve pulled it from the side. Mine never close and I have to just let them close on their own or right click with the Touch Cover or press and hold the corner in hopes that I get the Close button to come up. Womp.
- One of my biggest issues is the WordPress app, this has nothing to do with the Surface but the people who created the app. I was hoping that I can manage my blog easily from an app and not have to log into it from a web page, but I was wrong. The app allows you to read Freshly Pressed and to create a new post. Not check my stats, look at past posts, or even read posts from people I follow. I’m hoping whoever created this app looks into making it more about managing your blog than just adding a new post.
- There aren’t any cute girly cases for it as yet :(.
- I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE, LOVE that Word, Excel, Powerpoint and One Note come with the Surface (I don’t use One Note but this is just for informational purposes). I love writing or jotting down notes and if pen and paper aren’t handy, some kind of notes app or even Word is a blessing when I can edit anything just to transfer.
- There is a USB Port. Enough said. (Apple – Womp!)
- Personalization 1:The live tiles are a huge plus. It really is nice to just see everything updated without opening anything. This design truly caters to the person on the go. As soon as Whatsapp fixes its Windows phone app I will be getting one. It would be a plus if Instagram would hop on there too :P. But I like knowing that I can pin my husband and friends to the Start Screen. Tiles can also be adjusted and moved easily to customize you Start Screen further. Who says you have to keep what they have there!
- It’s lightweight. I will definitely be taking this with me on my trips and not my laptop. It has everything I’ll need (even if I have to use web pages). I won’t have to worry about extra weight to my handbag.
- I love the camera on it! Since I got it, I’ve been using it to Skype with my family, and the kickstand is perfect here because when I place it on a table next to me it’s at the right height and everything. (Would still be nice for it to be adjustable though).
- Personalization 2: I love that I could customize the colours! I’m an Amethyst girl and I’ve always gravitated towards purple and pinks. I’ll survive until I can get a purple/pink case for it. But I told my husband to give me purple for my Start Screen :D.
- Everything can be uploaded to your Skydrive (store files online) easily.
- The cover is also a keypad! I mean, you already have two keyboard options on the screen – you can split the keyboard for typing with your thumbs or have the full keyboard if you like finger pecking, BUT if you’re not in the mood for touch screen typing, just use the cover! It’s not bulky, not extra weight AND it protects your screen when not in use. And the Touch Cover comes in four colours: blue, white, black and pink.
- Windows 8 is really easy to learn with all the swiping from the top and bottom and sides. And if you didn’t follow the tutorial, Bing it! You’ll get the hang of it quickly.
- I’m totally obsessed with Wordament! (This should’ve been higher on the list but I wanted to cover some other stuff first :P)
- Nothing else to say (now). Get one.