About two Sundays ago, we had a visiting priest and his homily was so good I had to get a copy to share with you. I was really touched listening to this homily and I thought it would not be right for me to keep such a wonderful message to myself. The really good thing about this is, even if you aren’t Christian so to speak, the majority of these ten things are good rules to live by as a human being.
TOP TEN LIST
10. Believe in each other. When we believe in people, we empower them.
9. Make love real. Love is a great idea, but if it only remains an idea, it won’t make any difference.
8. The Eucharist is not a reward for being good. (this I will list the entire passage as it’s a common misconception and beautifully interpreted here.)A doctor doesn’t tell us when we’re sick that taking a medication will help us get well, but then add, “You must be well before you take it.” Yet, we give that impression to people about Holy Communion. It is nourishment for people who are flawed, weak and in need of God’s help. Once and for all, let’s settle it. We are never worthy to receive Holy Communion, but that doesn’t matter because it’s not about our worthiness. It is about God’s unconditional love for us. The issue isn’t our desire to receive communion, but our desire to live in God’s love.
7. Stewardship is a way of life. We are stewards of God’s creation, of God’s gifts and grace.
6. It’s all a gift. Everything is God’s gift to us. We earned none of it, especially the love that is shown us by others. When we try to earn love, whatever we get in return will not be love, for love is always pure gift. The mystery is not death but the absolute wonder we call life.
5. We are called to unity with one another. But not just so we feel together. It is so the world may come to believe in Jesus.
4. We are made for relationship. It’s ultimately about us, not me or you.
3. We must love people the way they are. We cannot love a dream or a memory. If we do not love people the way they are, we don’t really love them at all.
2. Without forgiveness there is no future. If we do not forgive, there is no hope for peace.
1. We are on this earth to learn how to love. Since we were created in the divine image, and since we believe that God is love, the more loving we become, the more we image God and the more true joy we will find in life. Some of it’s lessons are difficult, to be sure. But if we fail to learn to love, we fail Humanity 101.